Thursday, October 21, 2010

1st "Youth" blog - Religion in America

Welcome to the new Peace Lutheran Church Blog! We are excited for this new avenue of communication within our church and beyond. I'll be posting thoughts/articles/discussions etc. every Thursday, so be sure to check back often and feel free to discuss and ask questions!


Although my primary area is youth, and my posts will be youth directed, anyone is welcome to read/comment/whatever on this portion of the blog. I'm all about inter-generational ministry! 


This past summer, a Religious Survey was done in our country to see what people know about Religion. The results of this study, although somewhat shocking, honestly are not that surprising.   Atheists and agnostics knew more about Christianity than "Christians" themselves. 


Check out the study here: 

http://pewforum.org/Other-Beliefs-and-Practices/U-S-Religious-Knowledge-Survey.aspx

"These are among the key findings of the U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey, a nationwide poll conducted from May 19 through June 6, 2010, among 3,412 Americans age 18 and older, on landlines and cell phones, in English and Spanish. 

Previous surveys by the Pew Research Center have shown that America is among the most religious of the world’s developed nations. Nearly six-in-ten U.S. adults say that religion is “very important” in their lives, and roughly four-in-ten say they attend worship services at least once a week. But the U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey shows that large numbers of Americans are uninformed about the tenets, practices, history and leading figures of major faith trraditions – including their own. Many people also think the constitutional restrictions on religion in public schools are stricter than they really are."


There is A LOT of info to digest here, but I encourage you to browse through it and share some thoughts. 

What sticks out you?
What surprises you and what doesn't surprise you?
Do these results encourage/disappoint you? 
As Christians, what do we do with this information?




Want to take the survey "How much do you know about religion"? Do it here. http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/index.php


How did you do? 

Feel free to respond to this message with any thoughts/comments/etc. that you have! 

Have a great weekend, friends!



in Him, 
Steph

2 comments:

  1. I actually did better than I thought I might. I got 13/15 right. I know one might think I shouldnt hesitate I would know most of them, working in a church and all, but the other religions I definitely am not as versed in as I wish I was. I am not surprised that we as a culture do not know more because we tend to do as we have always done, and it can be scary to learn something new--that it might change how we feel/think. But learning something new or being challenged can also facilitate growth in your own beliefs. I would like to learn more about other religions, do you know of sites that are reliable in accurate information?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got 14/15. The question I got wrong asked which religion had nirvana as its goal. I said Hinduism, but it is Buddhism. Dr. Okamoto, my World Religion professor, would not be happy! I agree with chersh05 - I am definitely not as well versed in other religions as i ought to be. Something to strive for...

    ReplyDelete